What are the Symptoms of Gout - Uric Acid Testing
DefinitionUric acid tests are tests that are done to measure the levels of uric acid in blood serum or in urine.
You wish to learn more about Gout, Purines, or Uric Acid, check out Steve's s The Internet Guides. The Internet Guide: Uric Acid: http://gout.smartadssecrets.com/uric_acid.
Steve WarshawCertified Personal Trainer and Nutritionist With over 15 years expereience developing training and nutrition programs for top level executives from companies such as Microsoft, Boeing, and Symetra Corp, Steve has established himself as a health and wellness expert.
Urine testReference values for 24-hour urinary uric acid vary from laboratory to laboratory but are generally found within the following range: 250-750 mg/24 hours. Just as a book shouldn't be judged by its cover, we wish you read this entire article on Kidney Stone before actually making a judgement about Kidney Stone.
<!-- BEGIN WIDGET: FA RELATED RESULTS -->
RisksRisks for the blood test are minimal, but may include slight bleeding from the puncture site, a small bruise or swelling in the area, or fainting or feeling lightheaded. We have tried to place the best definition about Uric Acid Levels in this article. This has taken a lot of time, but we only wish that the definition we gave suits your needs.
Key Terms<dl> <dl> <dt>Fanconi's syndrome</dt> <dd>A rare disorder caused by vitamin D deficiency or exposure to heavy metals. </dd> <dt>Gout</dt> <dd>A metabolic disorder characterized by sudden recurring attacks of arthritis caused by deposits of crystals that build up in the joints due to abnormally high uric acid blood levels. In gout, uric acid may be overproduced, underexcreted, or both. </dd> <dt>Hyperuricemia</dt> <dd>Excessively high levels of uric acid in the blood, often producing gout. </dd> <dt>Purine</dt> <dd>A white crystalline substance that is one of the building blocks of DNA. Uric acid is produced when purine is broken down in the body. </dd> <dt>Uric acid</dt> <dd>A compound resulting from the body's breakdown of purine. It is normally present in human urine only in small amounts. </dd> <dt>Uricosuria</dt> <dd>Increased levels of uric acid in the urine. </dd> <dt>Wilson's disease</dt> <dd>A rare hereditary disease marked by the buildup of copper in the liver and brain, causing loss of kidney function.</dd> </dl> </dl>
For Your Information
- Laboratory Test Handbook, edited by David S. Jacobs. Cleveland, OH: Lexi-Comp Inc., 1996.
- Mosby's Diagnostic and Laboratory Test Reference, edited by Kathleen Deska Pagana and Timothy James Pagana. St. Louis: Mosby-Year Book, Inc., 1998.
- Springhouse Corporation. Handbook of Diagnostic Tests, edited by Matthew Cahill. Springhouse, PA: Springhouse Corporation, 1995.
BioWhenever one reads any reading matter likeUric Acid Blood Test, it is vital that the person enjoys reading it. One should grasp the meaning of the matter, only then can it be considered that its reading is complete.
Abnormally Low Uric Acid Levels May Indicate that thePatient is taking allopurinol or probenecid for treatment of gout; may be pregnant; or suffers from Wilson's disease or Fanconi's syndrome. Kidney Stone proved to be the foundation for the writing of this page. We have used all facts and definitions of Kidney Stone to produce worthwhile reading material for you.
Certain Foods that are High in Purine May Increase thePatient's levels of uric acid. These include kidneys, liver, sweetbreads, sardines, anchovies, and meat extracts. You may be filled with astonishment with the amount of information we have compile here on Allopurinol. that was our intention, to astonish you.
- The laboratory should also be notified if the patient has had recent x-ray tests requiring contrast dyes.
- These chemicals increase uric acid levels in urine and decrease them in blood.
You Wish to Learn More about Steve or to Request TrainingOr nutrition information, please check out his website: http://www.bodybuiltbyvictoria.com Thinking of life without Purine seem to be impossible to imagine. This is because Purine can be applied in all situations of life.
How To Neutralize The Uric Acid That Causes Gout? (Part 1)
* Find out how is gout comes about and how to cure it by reversing the uric acid accumulations process. 100% Effective!
Blood testPatients scheduled for a blood test for uric acid should be checked for the following medications: loop diuretics (Diamox, Bumex, Edecrin, or Lasix); ethambutol (Myambutol); vincristine (Oncovin); pyrazinamide (Tebrazid); thiazide diuretics (Naturetin, Hydrex, Diuril, Esidrix, HydroDiuril, Aquatensen, Renese, Diurese); aspirin (low doses); acetaminophen (Tylenol); ascorbic acid (vitamin C preparations); levodopa (Larodopa); or phenacetin. These drugs can affect test results.
- Decreased excretion of uric acid is seen in chronic kidney disease, low thyroid, toxemia of pregnancy, and alcoholism.
- Patients with gout excrete less than half the uric acid in their blood as other persons.
- Only 10-15% of the total cases of hyperuricemia, however, are caused by gout.
Urine testPatients should be checked for the following medications before the urine test: diuretics, aspirin, pyrazinamide (Tebrazid), phenylbutazone, probenecid (Benemid), and allopurinol (Lopurin). If the patient needs to continue taking these medications, the laboratory should be notified. Our objective of this article on Uric Acid Blood Test was to arouse your interest in it. Bring back the acquired knowledge of Uric Acid Blood Test, and compare it with what we have printed here.
PreparationThe uric acid test requires either a blood or urine sample.
- For the blood sample, the patient should be fasting (nothing to eat or drink) for at least eight hours before the test.
- The urine test for uric acid requires a 24-hour urine collection.
- The urine test does not require the patient to fast or cut down on fluids.
- Some laboratories encourage patients to drink plenty of fluids during the collection period.
- There has been a gradual introduction to the world of Purines projected in this article.
- We had done this so that the actual meaning of the article will sink within you.